Elk Mountain Bridge
The Medicine Bow Bridge is an interesting hybrid pony truss with Warren diagonals and verticals at alternating panel points and a Parker-like top chord. As the longest of this type on the County Road System, this bridge is an important representative of an engineering anomaly.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
Originally slated to be replaced, with historic truss moved to a location alongside County Road 109. Later it was decided to just scrap the historic bridge and replace it.
- Pony truss bridge over Medicine Bow River on CR 6-3 in Elk Mountain
- Carbon County, Wyoming
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Slated for demolition and replacement.
- Built 1924
- - D.B. Miller of Cheyenne & Denver
- Polygonal Warren pony truss with alternating verticals
Length of largest span: 102.0 ft.
Total length: 106.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 22, 1985
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.68694, -106.41286 (decimal degrees)
41°41'13" N, 106°24'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 13/382417/4615983 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Elk Mountain
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 85000416 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WY DFU (Wyoming bridge identifier)
BH 35729 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 20.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 16, 2015: Updated by Nathan Holth: Bridge no longer to be preseved. Now doomed.
- May 28, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: Bridge to be rehabilitated.
- January 1, 2012: HAER photos posted by James Baughn
- April 20, 2010: New Street View added by J.P.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- HAER WY-61 - Medicine Bow Bridge, Spanning Medicine Bow River on County Road No. 120-1, Elk Mountain, Carbon County, WY
- Nathan Holth