BO - Eaton Tunnel (Old)
Remains of west portal
Photo taken by Robert Elder in October 2013
BH Photo #268382
According to Wikipedia, this tunnel was bored in 1867. The time frame seems legit, but I would like to confirm this with a primary source before I list it as a definitive construction date.
Multiple sources indicate that the tunnel collapsed in 1963, killing two men, and apparently burying their machinery. The tunnel has been sealed and is now a tomb for one of the men, whose body was never recovered.
- Lost Tunnel that was located south of the current Eaton Tunnel
- Wood County, West Virginia
- Collapsed 1963 killing two workers
- - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (BO)
- Also called
- Tunnel #21
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.19809, -81.32363 (decimal degrees)
39°11'53" N, 81°19'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/472054/4338809 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 57280 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 4, 2017: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited History and Description.
- October 14, 2013: New photos from Robert Elder
- July 22, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Baltimore & Ohio Railroad", "Railroad"
- July 22, 2013: Added by Robert Elder