2 votes

Dingess Tunnel


Photo taken by Greg Hall


BH Photo #131710

Street Views 


The Dingess Tunnel was opened on September 25, 1891 for the Norfolk & Western Railway's Ohio Extension from Elkhorn to the Ohio River at Kenova. Tracks were removed in 1933 when the N&W shifted all through trains to its Big Sandy Low-Grade Line along the Big Sandy River and the former railbed was reused as a road.


Masonry tunnel on CR 3/5
Mingo County, West Virginia
Open to traffic
Opened in 1891 for the Norfolk & Western Railway.
- Norfolk & Western Railway (NW)
Total length: 3,327.0 ft. (0.6 mi.)
Also called
NW - Dingess Tunnel
Approximate latitude, longitude
+37.86450, -82.18000   (decimal degrees)
37°51'52" N, 82°10'48" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/396206/4191437 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
1120 ft. above sea level
Average daily traffic (as of 1998)
Inventory number
BH 35393 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of December 1999)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • February 28, 2021: New photos from Sherman Cahal
  • November 13, 2015: New photo from Robert Elder
  • April 20, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
  • February 26, 2010: Updated by Greg Hall: added GPS coordinates



CR 3/5 Tunnel
Posted August 16, 2008, by Greg and Olivia Hall (cyclebay [at] aol [dot] com)

North entrance GPS N37 52.316, W82 10.650

South entrance GPS N37 51.667, W82 10.888

Quite an experience!Locals state that proper useage is to turn lights on, indicating that you are entering the tunnel. Drivers from the other end know not to enter if lights are on. We saw an 18 wheeler tanker go through while there, but it is a tight fit. Water drips form the top and one can barely see as it takes a while for eyes to adjust. Locals state that the roadway was dirt up until a couple of years ago and had deep holes in it. Now it is paved, but no lighting. Found article on wall at local resturant calling this the Dingess Tunnel. Article stated that it originally served as a rail system and was built in 1892. The rail was abandoned in 1932 and it was convereted to a roadway. Newspaper article was in the Daily News with Photo by Kyle Lovern. Article proclaimed the 100 Year anniversery of the Dingess Tunnel. Author was Charlotte Sanders. Tunnel is nearly 1 mile in length.

Photo 1- Looking south. Hole at other end looks just as far when halfway through

Photo 2- Looking North

Photo 3- Newspaper article at local eating establishment.

Webmaster's note: The photos that were here have been incorporated into the main site.