Photo from old postcard
BH Photo #488840
In 1930, the West Virginia Bridge Commission authorized the construction of a span across the Kanawha River. Construction began that year, with Holmes Construction Company acting as the primary contractor for the project. It opened to traffic on August 12, 1931, replacing a floating bridge that was unreliable at times of high water. The new two-lane cantilever bridge had a total length of 1,664 feet and charged a toll, which was removed on July 4, 1945.
The Shadle Bridge was named after H. E. Shadle, head of the state bridge commission.
Bolte, Jason. "Boomtown." Point Pleasant. Charleston: Arcadia, 2007
- Lost Cantilever through truss bridge over 1st St, Kanawha River on Wv 2
- Point Pleasant, Mason County, West Virginia
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1931; imploded December 16, 1998
- - Holmes Construction Co.
Length of largest span: 600.1 ft.
Total length: 1,668.1 ft.
Deck width: 21.3 ft.
- Also called
- Point Pleasant-Henderson Bridge
WV 2 Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.83667, -82.14000 (decimal degrees)
38°50'12" N, 82°08'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/401057/4299268 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 58248 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 16, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- October 2, 2013: Added by K. A. Erickson