Newell Toll Bridge
As seen from the West Virginia side.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in October 2007
BH Photo #110470
Newell Toll Bridge is a private wire suspension bridge over the Ohio River between Newell, West Virginia and East Liverpool, Ohio. It was the first suspension bridge built entirely of steel as opposed to wrought iron.
- Private suspension bridge over the Ohio River on Golding Street Extension between Newell and East Liverpool.
- Hancock County, West Virginia, and Columbiana County, Ohio
- Open to toll traffic
- Built 1905; rehabilitated 1954
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- C.M. Driver
- Edwin Kirtland Morse of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Wire suspension with riveted double-intersection Warren stiffening trusses
Length of largest span: 742.2 ft.
Total length: 1,590.0 ft.
Deck width: 20.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.62003, -80.58898 (decimal degrees)
40°37'12" N, 80°35'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/534765/4496659 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- East Liverpool South
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 1502425 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 35133 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 84 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 1, 2022: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- November 30, 2019: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- April 26, 2017: Updated by Sherman Cahal: Updates to text, builders
- October 16, 2016: New photo from Dave King
- October 17, 2014: New photos from Patrick S. O'Donnell
- August 9, 2014: New photos from Patrick S. O'Donnell
- October 6, 2013: Updated by C Hanchey: Added category "Ohio Department of Transportation Historic Bridge List "
- October 1, 2013: New Street View added by Michael Miller
- October 16, 2010: New photos from Jason Smith
- April 8, 2010: New Street View added by James Baughn
- July 27, 2009: New photos from James Baughn
- January 28, 2008: New photos from J.R. Manning