3/4 View Showing Approach Span And Bridge Portal (Direction Of View Unknown)
Photo taken by William Edmund Barrett, August 1975, for Historic American Engineering Record
BH Photo #127548
"In 1971, the West Virginia Department of Highways helped reinforce the structure by replacing certain floor beams and by adding steel girders beneath the deck; at that time new siding was added and the floor and roof rebuilt. All work was carried ou in keeping with the structure's original materials and appearance.
"The town of Milton began to grow and prosper with the arrival of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in the early 1870's, the town's importance in Cabell County was aided by the construction of the covered bridge over the Mud River."
James E. Harding
West Virginia Antiquities Commission, Old Mountainlair
West Virginia University
Morgantown, West VirginaTransmitted by:
Jean P. Yearby
Historic American Engineering Record 1985
from information compiled by:
James B. Armstrong, HAER, 1975