Philippi Covered Bridge 48-01-01
Photo taken by Tom Hall in July 2007
BH Photo #116136
The Philippi Covered Bridge is remarkable for several reasons. It was built in 1852, and still carries traffic today. It is the only covered bridge on the U.S. Highway System, carrying US Route 250. It is the longest covered bridge in West Virginia. It was the site of the first land battle of the Civil War on June 3, 1861, and was subsequently crossed by both Union and Confederate troops in various stages of the war.
The bridge was heavily damaged by fire on February 2, 1989, when a gasoline tanker truck refilling underground tanks at a nearby filling station overfilled a tank, spilling gasoline which ran down into the bridge. A car passing through the bridge then sparked a fire when its exhaust system backfired. (from Wikipedia) When it was carefully rebuilt, a fire sprinkler system was installed, which is visible in Photo #24.
- Burr arch-truss bridge over Tygart Valley River on U.S. 250 in Philippi
- Philippi, Barbour County, West Virginia
- Open to traffic; posted for load
- Built 1852; site of Battle of Philippi June 3, 1861; Reconstructed 1991 after fire
- - Lemuel Chenoweth
- Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 78.1 ft.
Total length: 311.0 ft.
Deck width: 26.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 10.2 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.15300, -80.04335 (decimal degrees)
39°09'11" N, 80°02'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/582660/4334191 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 72001284 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 36774 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 72.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- October 25, 2021: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added category "Double-barreled"
- May 20, 2021: Updated by Doug K: Removed category "Covered bridge open to traffic"
- December 12, 2019: Updated by Roger Deschner: New photos, expanded description, added category "US 250"
- November 14, 2019: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- October 3, 2015: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
- December 3, 2011: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added Civil War category
- August 14, 2010: New Street View added by James Baughn
- February 28, 2010: Updated by Robert Stephenson: Merged NBI data
- February 20, 2010: Updated by Joshua Collins: added gps coordinates
- June 29, 2008: Added by Tom Hall
- Tom Hall - thomas [dot] hall [at] ffni [dot] com
- Joshua Collins - Bigjc1979 [at] aol [dot] com
- Robert Stephenson - seinfeld99 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Bill Eichelberger
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Roger Deschner - rogerdeschner [at] gmail [dot] com