First Fox River Bridge Neenah (Old)
First Bridge Completed
Weekly Wisconsin Aug. 20, 1851
Photo taken by Don Nussbaum
BH Photo #415876
Previous to the construction of this bridge, the only way to cross the river at Neenah was by fording it. One ford was near present day Doty Park and the other was near the east side of present day Arrowhead Park. History of Winnebago County P. V. Lawson.
The first bridge over the river in Neenah was constructed in 1851. The abutments (cribs?) were completed by July. Oshkosh Democrat Jul. 25, 1851. The bridge was finished on August 9, 1851. Weekly Wisconsin Aug. 20, 1851.
Substantial repairs were made in 1861. Weekly Manufacturer Oct. 3, 1861.
Demolished and replaced in 1868. Island City Times July, 25, 1868.
- Lost Timber stringer bridge over South Branch Fox River
- Neenah, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1851
- Timber stringer
Total length: 330.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.18875, -88.45949 (decimal degrees)
44°11'20" N, 88°27'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/383357/4893873 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T.20N.- R.17E, S.22
- 740 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 79944 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 17, 2018: Updated by Don Nussbaum: Added demolition date.
- January 6, 2018: Added by Don Nussbaum