UP - Parkside Drive Overpass
Barrel Shot Looking East
This is the entrance to a subdivision that is between the railroad berm and the Rock River. The area was severely flooded in June, 2008.
The bridge is significant as the last known example in the state of the C&NW's standard stone-arch design. Compare it to the oldest extant example of the C&NW standard design, the 1878 Goette Road Bridge in Sauk County.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2008
BH Photo #120370
Build date provided by C&NW bridge records at the Chicago & North Western Railway Historical Society archives
- Stone arch bridge over Elgin Avenue on the Union Pacific Railroad in Janesville
- Janesville, Rock County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Built 1903
- - Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- Rock-faced, coursed-ashlar, sandstone bridge with a single, semi-circular arch.
Span length: 16.0 ft.
Total length: 16.0 ft.
- Also called
- C&NW Bridge #114
Chicago & Northwestern Railway Bridge No. 114
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.70288, -89.03732 (decimal degrees)
42°42'10" N, 89°02'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/333140/4729833 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Janesville West
- Inventory number
- BH 34922 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 14, 2018: New photos from John Marvig
- June 16, 2014: Updated by John Marvig: New photos from John Marvig
- October 23, 2013: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- November 22, 2009: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected Railroad Data
- August 17, 2009: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated GPS and updated bridge data
- August 8, 2008: New photos from J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com