Rating:
3 votes

CN - Lower Burger Swing Bridge

Photos 

Manitowoc "downstream" Swing Bridge

Burger Boat is on the right; Manitowoc Cement is on the left.

Photo taken by Robert Thompson in February 2011

Enlarge

BH Photo #193339

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This bridge, located between Burger Boat Co. (est. 1863) and the former Manitowoc Cement Co., provided rail service to the Manitowoc Shipbuilding shipyard and to the Ann Arbor Car Ferry docks beyond. This rail line crossed the Manitowoc River again 500 feet beyond on a bascule bridge, also listed. Historical photos show the bridge was built before 1910; it remains hand-operated until this day. Since both Manitowoc Shipbuilding and the Ann Arbor car ferry docks are defunct, the bridge is kept in the open position to allow yacht-builder Burger Boat unrestricted water access. The bridge was declared an obstacle to navigation and removed in the summer of 2011.

Facts 

Overview
Bridge over Manitowoc River on Railroad
Location
Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin
Status
Removed but not replaced
History
Built 1906
Railroads
- Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Soo Line Railroad (SOO)
- Wisconsin Central Ltd. (WC)
Design
Swing span
Dimensions
Span length: 295.0 ft.
Total length: 295.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.09841, -87.66850   (decimal degrees)
44°05'54" N, 87°40'07" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/446491/4883019 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Manitowoc
Elevation
576 ft. above sea level
Inventory number
BH 48039 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • December 7, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Added build date
  • September 15, 2013: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
  • December 5, 2011: Updated by Robert Thompson: Updated status; added removal year to description.
  • February 6, 2011: Added by Robert Thompson

Sources 

Comments 

Manitowoc "downstream" swing railroad bridge
Posted October 9, 2011, by Robert Thompson

Per the most recent Notice to Mariners from the 9th District, USCG, this bridge will be removed by December 2011!

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm09402011.pdf