CN - Upper Burger Swing Bridge
"Upstream" Swing Bridge, looking north
The defunct Manitowoc Shipbuilding shipyard is beyond the bridge to the right; yacht-builder Burger Boat Co. is beyond on the left.
Photo taken by Robert Thompson
BH Photo #193325
This bridge was built as a swing bridge, to allow navigation upstream of Manitowoc Shipbuilding and Burger Boat Company. It has been kept in the closed position for decades; since around the time of Great Depression, there have been no industries upstream of this bridge that required vessel access. There had been an unloading gantry on the north side of the river for coal or some other bulk material; photos do not show it after the Second World War. Bridge records are unclear as to where this bridge was moved from.
- August 30, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Riveted"
- August 27, 2016: New photos from John Marvig
- August 22, 2016: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- October 4, 2014: Updated by John Marvig: Added build date and common name
- April 22, 2014: New photos from Douglas Butler
- December 8, 2013: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- September 15, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Fox Valley & Western Ltd."
- December 5, 2011: Updated by Robert Thompson: Updated history with new data.
- February 6, 2011: Added by Robert Thompson