Bayview Bridge, Sturgeon Bay 1
Looking to the east, after passing through. Taken from the pilothouse of the ferryboat M/V Put-In-Bay during sea trials, April 18 1997
Photo taken by Robert Thompson
BH Photo #149081
Written by Robert Thompson
For decades, the Michigan Street Bridge in Sturgeon Bay provided the only access over the bay to the northern part of the Door Peninsula. Being a popular tourist destination, there were spectacular traffic jams in the summer, extending for miles.
In 1960, the Michigan Street bridge was damaged when a freighter rammed the lift span, rendering it inoperable for months. A temporary floating bridge was cobbled together by a local shipyard, spanning the navigation canal at the east end of the bay. After the Michigan Street Bridge was repaired, local residents demanded a second bridge...
28 years later, the Bayview Bridge was finally built.
- Bascule bridge over Sturgeon Bay on WI 42/WI 57 in Sturgeon Bay
- Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic
- Built 1978
Span length: 228.4 ft.
Total length: 228.4 ft.
Deck width: 34.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.81833, -87.35667 (decimal degrees)
44°49'06" N, 87°21'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/471800/4962831 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Sturgeon Bay East
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory number
- BH 34739 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 82.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 9, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- February 12, 2016: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- December 16, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- March 6, 2010: New photo from Robert Thompson
- November 15, 2009: Essay added by Robert Thompson
- November 14, 2009: Updated by Robert Thompson: Added official name; added photos.