Photo From WSDOT
BH Photo #295232
The Cascade Wagon Road was the first state road designated by the Washington legislature in 1893. This bridge was built in 1930 as part of the Cascade Wagon Road, numbered Primary State Highway 17 in 1937. The highway was intended to cross Cascade Pass and Twisp Pass with a spur heading south to the unincorporated community of Stehekin. Part of this proposed route was never built. In the later 1940s, a route via Washington and Rainy Passes was surveyed that eventually became State Route 20, the North Cascades Highway. The final link was opened to traffic in September 1972.
The enclosed WSDOT photograph was taken in the early 1940s. Note the Washington State Highway 17 sign at the beginning of the bridge. The bracing above the roadway has since been modified so that the vertical clearance is the same the whole width of the roadway.
Attachment #1 (application/pdf; 1,381,764 bytes)