Rating:
No votes cast

Ballard Swing Bridge (Old)

Photos 

Photo taken by Priscilla Long

License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)

Enlarge

View this photo at historylink.org

BH Photo #488568

Map 

Facts 

Overview
Lost Howe through truss bridge over Lake Washington Canal on 14 Avenue
Location
Seattle, King County, Washington
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built in 1910; replaced in 1916
Builders
- International Contract Co.
- United States Army Corps Of Engineers
Railroads
- Puget Sound Traction, Light & Power Co. (PSTL&P)
- Seattle Electric Co. (SECo)
Design
Howe through truss swing
Also called
Salmon Bay Drawbridge
14th Avenue NW Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+47.66004, -122.37334   (decimal degrees)
47°39'36" N, 122°22'24" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/547052/5278706 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 91881 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • January 12, 2021: New photo from Douglas Butler
  • January 11, 2021: Updated by Luke: Added builder
  • January 10, 2021: New photo from Douglas Butler

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Douglas Butler
  • Luke

Comments 

Ballard Swing Bridge (Old)
Posted January 11, 2021, by Luke

Per the image source: "In February 1916, the Army Corps of Engineers prepared to lower the waters of Lake Washington and raise those of Salmon Bay. Since this would inundate the Fourteenth Avenue NW Bridge, and since the Ballard Bridge was only half finished, the War Department ordered the Fourteenth Avenue NW Bridge to be raised. On April 10, 1916, the Seattle City Council passed an ordinance (35942) to raise its approaches and drawspan and appropriated $5,800 from the General Fund for the purpose.

On December 15, 1917, the Ballard Bridge, a double-leaved bascule bridge that spanned Salmon Bay at 15th Avenue NW, finally opened to traffic. At this point the War Department considered the Fourteenth Avenue NW Bridge an obstruction to navigation. On August 15, 1918, the War Department ordered the city of Seattle to remove the bridge, "the work of removal to be commenced within two weeks and to be completed within two months from the date of service of this order" (Keppel to the City of Seattle, August 15, 1918). In order to comply, on November 25, 1918, the Seattle City Council passed an emergency ordinance (38937) directing the Board of Public Works to remove the drawbridge."

Ballard Swing Bridge (Old)
Posted January 11, 2021, by Geoff Hubbs (geoffrey [dot] hubbs [at] att [dot] net)

Doug - I think you get successor and predecessor confused. Any idea why this bridge only lasted 6 years?