Indian Timothy Memorial Bridge
Alpowa Creek was first bridged in 1923 when this rainbow arch structure, consisting of two 100 foot spans, was built by the Pacific Construction Company of Spokane. The bridge is a half through structure on which the roadway is suspended at the midpoint of the ring arches from concrete beams. Constructing a bridge of this type requires a great deal of skill and complex formwork. Few were built in the inland northwest.
Timothy, who was born Temuutsu, led the Alpowa band of Nez Perce. He was the first of his people converted to Christianity by Henry H. Spalding and is credited with the rescue of surviving cavalry troopers after the defeat of Colonel Steptoe’s detachment by a combined force of Spokane, Couer d’Alene and Palouse Indians at the battle of Rosalia in 1858. His daughter, Jane, guided a party headed by E.D. Pierce to the upper Clearwater in 1860. Their discovery, near Orofino, set off the first Idaho gold rush. Jane later married John Silcott who started a Snake River ferry at the mouth of Alpowa creek in 1861.
E.V.Kuykendall, a Pomeroy lawyer, was Washington’s Director of Public Works when the bridge was planned. He was instrumental in the designation of the bridge as a memorial to Timothy in the authorizing legislation.
The town of Silcott was demolished and the highway was relocated prior to the completion of Lower Granite Dam in 1974. The Indian Timothy Bridge was bypassed and is preserved in place as an example of rare bridge architecture.
- Bypassed two-span through arch bridge over Alpowa Creek on US 12
- Asotin County, Washington
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1923 by the Colonial Building Co.; bypassed by new bridge in 1974
- - Colonial Building Co. of Spokane, Washington (Contractor)
- Pacific Construction Co. of Spokane, Washington
- Marsh arch - half through structure on which the roadway is suspended at the midpoint of the ring arches from concrete beams
Length of largest span: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 200.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 1982
- Also called
- Chief Timothy Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +46.41178, -117.21378 (decimal degrees)
46°24'42" N, 117°12'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/483569/5139822 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Silcott Island
- Land survey
- T. 8 N., R. 28 E., Sec. 18
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 82004194 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 38419 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 29, 2019: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Marsh arch"
- April 20, 2018: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical data to description
- April 15, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- September 21, 2011: New photos from Michael Goff
- July 24, 2009: New photos from Karl Sweitzer
- December 22, 2008: Added by James Baughn
- HAER WA-85 - Indian Timothy Memorial Bridge
- James Baughn - webmaster [at] bridgehunter [dot] com
- Karl Sweitzer - kesc [at] pacbell [dot] net
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Richard Doody
- Wikipedia - Explains "Indian Timothy"