Twin Bridge 45-11-10
Photo taken by Michael Quiet in April 2016
BH Photo #352528
When it came time to build a bridge across the East Creek in 1849 the notable local bridgewright Nichols Powers was called upon and built a small span across the creek. A flood the next year cut a new channel north of the original bridge, requiring another bridge be built. Nichols was again called upon and built a second span across the new channel, with the original span remaining in place. The middle "pier" was a 15 foot section of land between the old and new channels, thus giving these bridges the name of "twin bridges".
The structures remained in service until 1947, when a dam in nearby East Pittsford failed and caused a massive flood. the southern 1849 span was destroyed, but the northern 1850 span was recovered, and was converted into a town garage.
- Covered Town lattice truss bridge
- Rutland, Rutland County, Vermont
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1850 by Nichols M. Powers; Washed away by 1947 flood; Converted to town garage
- - Nichols Montgomery Powers
- Town lattice through truss
Length of largest span: 63.0 ft.
Total length: 64.3 ft.
Deck width: 15.3 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.64860, -72.97271 (decimal degrees)
43°38'55" N, 72°58'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/663493/4834842 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 71953 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 4, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- April 26, 2016: Added by Michael Quiet
- Michael Quiet - mquiet [at] gmail [dot] com
- Richard Doody