South Fork Shenandoah River Bridge
This bridge had one of the most unusual suspended span trusses ever seen.
- Deck truss bridge over S F Shenandoah Rv & N&W on VA 55 in Front Royal
- Warren County, Virginia
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1941
- - Norfolk & Western Railway (NW)
- Warren deck truss with unique design of suspended span.
Length of largest span: 194.9 ft.
Total length: 1,925.0 ft.
Deck width: 40.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.94500, -78.20000 (decimal degrees)
38°56'42" N, 78°12'00" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/742664/4314401 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Front Royal
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- VA 20272 (Virginia bridge number)
BH 33897 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 35.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 20, 2016: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added design, link to photo, and noted demolition.
- May 4, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: This historic truss bridge is now doomed.