Rating:
1 vote

13th Street Bridge

Photos 

Larger span

Photo taken by Dylan Clarke

Enlarge

BH Photo #516120

Description 

Bridge built across the Haxall Canal in 1860 to connect the Haxall-Crenshaw Mill (owned by the builders, Haxall and Crenshaw) to the rest of Richmond. Features two stone arch, one about 1/3rd larger than the other. Now used as part of the Richmond Canal Walk. A large circular plaque details the history of the bridge nearby.

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Haxall Canal on 13th Street
Location
Richmond, Virginia
Status
Open to pedestrians only, vehicles might be allowed but there's no reason for vehicles to use the bridge
History
Built 1860, abandoned when 13th street closed, reopened for pedestrian traffic in 1998 when the Canal Walk was completed
Design
Stone arch
Approximate latitude, longitude
+37.53380, -77.43526   (decimal degrees)
37°32'02" N, 77°26'07" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/284827/4156878 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 96045 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

19th Century (8,660)
Arch (12,685)
Built 1860 (50)
Built during 1860s (626)
Canal Walk (3)
Deck arch (11,920)
Open to pedestrians (4,599)
Owned by city (6,113)
Richmond, Virginia (68)
Stone arch (3,296)
Virginia (1,387)

Update Log 

  • January 23, 2022: Added by Dylan Clarke

Sources 

  • Dylan Clarke