Original construction date and builder are not clear. A 1975 VHTRC study stated the main span was built in 1879 by the King Iron Bridge & Manufacturing Co. based on a bridge/date plate. HAER VA-112 states the main span was likely built in 1885 with no builder known based on a reference in Fauquier County records to settling the final costs with Culpeper County. HAER documented that approaches to the bridge were rebuilt by the Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. in 1918-19.
According to county officials this is a Pittsburgh Bridge Co. Bridge, and I have changed the builder. There was another King Bridge nearby that is now gone from what I have been told. JB
- Through truss bridge over Rappahannock River on Waterloo Road (Route 613)
- Culpeper County, Virginia, and Fauquier County, Virginia
- Reopened 2019
- Built 1879 Pittsburgh Bridge Co. ; approaches rebuilt 1919 by the Virginia Bridge & Iron Co.
- - Pittsburgh Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Builder)
- Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. of Roanoke, Virginia [also known as Virginia Bridge Co.]
- Pin-connected Pratt through truss main span and 15 steel deck approach spans
Length of largest span: 102.0 ft.
Total length: 366.2 ft.
Deck width: 11.2 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.4 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.69567, -77.90647 (decimal degrees)
38°41'44" N, 77°54'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/247211/4287127 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2002)
- Inventory numbers
- VA 5622 (Virginia bridge number)
BH 33651 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2013)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 14.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 17, 2021: Updated by Dylan Clarke: Bridge reopened
- October 25, 2021: New photos from Dylan Clarke
- August 19, 2017: Updated by Dave King: Added category "Pin-connected"
- December 4, 2015: New photo from Joe Martin
- February 6, 2015: Photos imported by Dave King
- June 4, 2014: Updated by Julie Bowers: JB changed builder from two sources in Virgina.
- January 15, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Closed
- June 27, 2010: Updated by C Hanchey: Added history info
- April 14, 2009: Updated by James Gonzalski
- December 5, 2008: Updated by Kim Harvey