Dominion Boulevard Veterans Bridge
One of two privately-owned pieces of infrastructure in the region - the other is the nearby South Norfolk Jordan Bridge on Virginia Route 337. Both the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge and the Dominion Boulevard Bridge are owned and managed privately by United Bridge Partners, with no tax revenue or support (their only revenue sources are donations and tolls). Although both structures are of a common modern design (concrete segmental box girder), they are both noteworthy as examples of how private investments can improve public transportation when no public funding for such improvements is available.
The Dominion Boulevard Veterans Bridge was built to replace the previous Steel Bridge, an obsolete double-leaf bascule bridge. The new bridge is expected to become part of the future Interstate 87 (Raleigh-Norfolk Expressway) corridor - however no significant structural changes are expected to be needed as part of this.
- Concrete segmental box girder bridge over South Branch Elizabeth River (ICW) on Dominion Boulevard (U.S. Route 17/Future I-87)
- Chesapeake, Virginia
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Part of the future Interstate 87 corridor (Raleigh to Norfolk Expressway) but no significant structural changes expected
- Built 2014 to replace previous Steel Bridge
- - United Bridge Partners
- Twin-span concrete segmental box girder
Length of largest span: 285.1 ft.
Total length: 5,262.4 ft. (1.0 mi.)
Deck width: 40.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.73638, -76.29488 (decimal degrees)
36°44'11" N, 76°17'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/384387/4066410 (zone/easting/northing)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- VA 28794 (Virginia bridge number)
BH 89130 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2018)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 79 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 26, 2020: New photo from Nick Boppel
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com