Old Handley Road Overpass
Photo taken by Chris Cates in March 2014 with MC Toyer
BH Photo #296030
The Northern Texas Traction Company (NTTC) Interurban operated between Fort Worth and Dallas from 1905 to 1933. This bridge was built for Handley Road to pass over the tracks.
Handley began to develop with the arrival of the Texas and Pacific Railroad in 1876, but its real growth was the result of the NTTC depot, powerhouse, shops and a resort, Lake Erie, built on the south side of town. Handley Road connected Fort Worth to the southeastern part of Tarrant County and remained in use as a secondary road until truncated by freeway construction in the mid 20th century.
- Abandoned bridge on Old Handley Road
- Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas
- Derelict structure on closed street
- - Stone & Webster of Boston, Massachusetts
- - Interurban
- Northern Texas Traction Co. (NTT)
- Steel stringer with concrete deck, stone abutments, steel piers, and steel pipe side rails.
Span length: 24.0 ft.
Total length: 24.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +32.73317, -97.22350 (decimal degrees)
32°43'59" N, 97°13'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/666462/3623102 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 63229 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 14, 2019: New photos from jesse berube
- October 22, 2014: Updated by M C Toyer: deleted erroneous "rails to road" and "railroad" categories
- September 28, 2014: Updated by Luke: Added categories "Northern Texas Traction Co.", "Railroad", "Rail-to-road", "Interurban"
- September 28, 2014: Added by Chris Cates
- Chris Cates - chriscates1 [at] hotmail [dot] com
- M C Toyer - mctoyer [at] hotmail [dot] com