Union County Veterans Memorial Bridge
State Highway 33 Continuous Warren Through truss Bridge over Clinch River (Norris Lake) in Union County #87-SR0033-15.83
One of East Tennessee's longest continuous Warren through truss bridges. View is from south approach, headed northbound. Note curve in approach to bridge superstructure.
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in August 2008
BH Photo #119547
Original Clinch River through truss bridge moved to Hogskin Creek in Grainger County, this bridge built by TVA for Norris Dam impoundment. New bridge built right beside old truss span.
(3-1-18) The truss bridge has been demolished (2017) and replaced with a 7 Span Weathered Steel Plate Girder (Jan 2016).
- Two span Warren continuous through truss bridge over Clinch River (Norris Lake) on TN 33 between Maynardville and Tazewell
- Union County, Tennessee
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1936
- - Tennessee Valley Authority
- Two, two-span continuous Warren trusses, each a 505.5-foot through Warren, and 17 steel I-beam approaches on a concrete substructure.
Length of largest span: 252.6 ft.
Total length: 1,915.7 ft.
Deck width: 23.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.1 ft.
- Also called
Norris Lake Bridge
Highway 33 Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.33432, -83.74205 (decimal degrees)
36°20'04" N, 83°44'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/253884/4024521 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Powder Springs
- 1029 ft. above sea level
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- TN 87SR0330007 (Tennessee bridge number)
BH 32717 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 72.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 17, 2019: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- March 1, 2018: Updated by Aaron Blake: Bridge replaced
- June 24, 2012: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- December 31, 2009: Updated by Calvin Sneed: T-DOT's Resident Bridge engineer confirms the bridge design... Thanks!
- December 13, 2009: Updated by Matthew Ridpath: This is actually a continuous Warren through truss
- August 3, 2008: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- August 1, 2008: Updated by Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Matthew Ridpath
- Geoff Hubbs