This historic ferry crossing, established in 1830 provides one of the best views of the Cumberland River. John Hunt Morganā's cavalry used it to escape federal soldiers during a May 1862 raid, but in their haste they abandoned their mounts.
Nearby are the graves of John Grissim, Thomas A. Grissim, and Wilson Hankins, who were killed by federal soldiers in September 1864
- Abandoned ferry across Cumberland River on Rome Road
- Smith County, Tennessee
- Established 1830
- Ferry crossing
Total length: 802.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 24, 1986
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.26305, -86.07000 (decimal degrees)
36°15'47" N, 86°04'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/583540/4013526 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Dixon Springs
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 86003477 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 59524 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 1, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info and imported photos
- February 3, 2014: New Street View added by Dave King
- February 3, 2014: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "Cumberland River", "One-lane traffic"
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com