Old Mail Road Bridge
Photo taken by Calvin Sneed in July 2010
BH Photo #169770
The Old Mail Road Bridge is a one-span arch of unfinished Crab Orchard sandstone, laid in an irregular masronry pattern. Many stones are laid at odd angles projected outward in a skintled effect. The bottom of the arch turns inward to form ledges underneath the bridge at the waterline. This bridge, and the Deep Draw Road Bridge, are listed on the National Register, under the Cumberland Homesteads Historic District.
It is also noted that stalactites are rapidly forming along the underside of the bridge's sandstone arch, as noted by the photographs. Sunlight does not reach the areas where they are forming.
- Stone arch bridge over Byrds Creek on Old Mail Road in Cumberland Mountain State Park
- Cumberland County, Tennessee
- Open to traffic
- Built 1937, located within the National Register-listed Cumberland Homesteads Historic District
- - Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Stone arch bridge built with unfinished Crab Orchard standstone laid in an irregular pattern that forms ledges along the length of the span.
Length of largest span: 24.0 ft.
Total length: 58.0 ft.
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.89332, -85.02541 (decimal degrees)
35°53'36" N, 85°01'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/678215/3973916 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory numbers
- TN 180A9390001 (Tennessee bridge number)
BH 32471 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 27.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 19, 2018: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- July 18, 2010: New photos from Calvin Sneed
- Calvin Sneed - us43137415 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net