No votes cast

John Seabrook Plantation Bridge


John Seabrook Plantation Bridge, Bridge Arch

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

BH Photo #291561



Ca. 1782, John Seabrook built a ferry and stagecoach tavern on his property at the banks of Leadenwah Creek; a highway to this landing was constructed about the same time, allowing the tavern and its landing to become an integral part of the transportation system which connected the city of Charleston with the coastal islands. An arched bridge structure was the means by which the highway crossed the draw. The bridge is one of only two brick bridges in the Charleston area known to be built before the Civil War. The bridge is constructed of brick veneer in American bond enclosing a fill mixture of crushed oyster shells and rammed earth. The original road was probably surfaced with a crushed shell compound. The road was probably used for the commercial transportation of rice and indigo from plantation to market through the first quarter of the nineteenth century. By that time, the importance of these plantations on the sea islands was sharply declining and, as a result, road and bridge slowly fell into disuse. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1974. - SCDAH


Abandoned arch bridge over Branch of Wadmalaw River on Abandoned Road
Charleston County, South Carolina
Built 1782
- John Seabrook
Brick arch
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 9, 1974
Also called
Admiral George Palmer's Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+32.62663, -80.21008   (decimal degrees)
32°37'36" N, 80°12'36" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/574101/3610172 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Wadmalaw Island
Inventory numbers
NRHP 74001841 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 62562 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • June 8, 2015: Updated by Royce and Bobette Haley: refined design-to-do list
  • August 18, 2014: Added by Michael Miller