Glen Allen Mill Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman
BH Photo #178531
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 2-span, 131'-long, reinforced concrete, elliptical arch bridge built in 1918 is supported on concrete abutments and bullnose pier. The reinforced concrete spandrel walls and parapets have oversize panels extending from just above the arch ring to the parapet coping. The bridge has the distinctive paneling of York County reinforced concrete arch bridges that were designed by County Engineer Charles Williams during the mid 1910s. It is one of at least 10 similar bridges from 1913 to 1918 identified in York County, and it is the only multiple span example. The bridge benefits from an undisturbed rural setting that is adjacent to the 19th century Glen Allen rural mill and farm complex that has historic district potential. The bridge, which replaced a previous covered bridge, dates from the mill's active period of operation. The bridge served to connect the mill with the farms on the south bank of Yellow Breeches Creek in York County. It is evaluated as contributing to the potential Glen Allen historic district.
- Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Yellow Breeches Creek off McCormick Rd
- Mechanicsburg, York County, Pennsylvania, and Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- - Charles A. Williams of Jacobus, Pennsylvania
- W. H. Drawbaugh
Length of largest span: 65.0 ft.
Total length: 130.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.1 ft.
- Also called
- Yellow Breeches Creek Bridge
Wharf's Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.16416, -76.93867 (decimal degrees)
40°09'51" N, 76°56'19" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/334907/4447779 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 21 7104 0626 3807 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14049 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 46268 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 23, 2018: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- September 19, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman