FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY: The single lane bridge carries a 2 lane road over a stream in a rural setting. At the southwest quadrant is the non-operative D. Miller grist mill (ca. 1870), now owned by the United Water Co., which operates a modern water treatment facility adjacent to the mill. The mill dam and race systems have been expanded and rebuilt to service the water company. To the northwest is a recently constructed residential subdivision. The setting does not have the cohesiveness or integrity of a historic district.
The 4-span, 123'-long stone arch bridge has red sandstone voussoirs at the 2 center spans, and brick arch rings at the 2 shorter end spans. The spandrels and parapets are contrasting white limestone fieldstone. At the north end, a section of parapet has been replaced with concrete. Several generations of repointing have partially obscured the stone in some sections of parapet, spandrels, and intrados. Available state and county records do not document the date of construction and the plaque has been lost, but a date of ca. 1900 is estimated based on style and comparison with 12 extant stone arch highway bridges in York County. All of the documented examples in the county have early 20th century dates of construction. Stone arch bridges are a traditional technology that was brought to Pennsylvania in the colonial period and used with great frequency through the early 20th century. Over 350 examples have been identified statewide. This example is historically and technologically distinguished in the local and regional population. It is the longest and only example of greater than 2 spans in York County. Although of unequal span lengths, the bridge has relatively handsome proportions and stonework exhibiting craftsmanship.