www.yorkblog.com York Town Square
BH Photo #184079
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
'The 5 span, 419'-long reinforced concrete closed spandrel 4-ribbed arch bridge built in 1926 has standard concrete balustrades and it is supported on horizontally scored concrete piers and abutments. The bridge is accented with plain pilasters at each pier which extend upward to form balustrade posts topped by concrete light standards. Reinforced concrete arch bridges began appearing in numbers in Pennsylvania during the first decade of the 20th century, and by the early 1910s they were ubiquitous. The use of ribs is a savings of material but it requires extra formwork. An early example of a closed spandrel ribbed arch bridge is the 1907-1909 Mulberry St. viaduct in Harrisburg (22301200800233). By 1926, the construction of a ribbed closed spandrel arch bridge was not historically or technologically significant. The bridge is not distinguished by its setting or context.
- Concrete tee beam bridge over Big Conewago Creek on Pa 295; Sr 0295
- York County, Pennsylvania
- Demolished and replaced.
- Built 1926
- - A.P. Dise
- G.A. & F.M. Wagman of York, Pennsylvania
- Ribbed closed spandrel arch.
Length of largest span: 74.2 ft.
Total length: 419.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Also called
- Big Conewago Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.09917, -76.76333 (decimal degrees)
40°05'57" N, 76°45'48" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/349696/4440253 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2008)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 0295 0060 1866 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 46733 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2009)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 48.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- December 31, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman
- November 9, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman
- October 31, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- October 30, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman