No votes cast
Water Street Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 1-span, 42'-long reinforced concrete arch bridge built in 1915 has been altered by replacement tubular metal railings (ca. 1970). An uncommon feature is the variable depth of the arch barrel, which is shallower for the sidewalks. It is an original detail to save material and not a later alteration. The bridge is not an early or innovative example of a bridge type that was in widespread use by the 1910s, but it is located in a NR-listed historic district and it is from the district's period of significance. The Glen Rock Historic District nomination identifies the bridge as noncontributing based on an incorrect date of construction of ca. 1970 (probably based on a visual inspection of the metal railings). The arch bridge, however, is clearly an earlier structure, and the date of 1915 provided by PADOT BMS and inspection files is appropriate. The bridge has been altered by loss of the railings, and although not individually distinguished, it retains its original arch profile and contributes to the character and significance of its setting. It is evaluated a contributing resource.
- Concrete arch bridge over South Branch Codorus Creek on Water Street in Glen Rock
- York County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1915; rehabilitated ca. 1970
- Closed-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 39.0 ft.
Total length: 42.0 ft.
Deck width: 30.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.80000, -76.73333 (decimal degrees)
39°47'60" N, 76°43'60" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/351608/4406996 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Glen Rock
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 66 7410 4000 3116 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 38287 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31885 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 93.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description