Bells Mill Bridge 38-65-01
Bells Mills Covered Bridge end view
Brian McKee and Karen Bittinger in photo
Photo by Brian McKee in December 15, 2008
BH Photo #130533
An example of a Burr arch truss covered bridge dating to the mid-nineteenth century.
-- Historic American Buildings Survey
- Wooden covered bridge over Sewickley Creek
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to light auto traffic
- Built 1850; rehabilitated 1988
- - Daniel McCain
- Burr arch with tilting vertical truss members. 100 percent wooden construction.
Length of largest span: 89.9 ft.
Total length: 107.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 6.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 27, 1980
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.21917, -79.71028 (decimal degrees)
40°13'09" N, 79°42'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/609739/4452880 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 64 7215 0970 5023 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
NRHP 80003648 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
PANBI 36964 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31818 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 28.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 18, 2015: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- March 12, 2014: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- March 9, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info, builder & imported photo
- December 17, 2008: New photo from Brian McKee
- Brian McKee - bjmckee51 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Todd Wilson
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
- HABS PA-415 - Bells Mill Bridge, Sewickley Creek, West Newton, Westmoreland County, PA