Kings Covered Bridge 38-56-06
Photo taken by Brian McKee in May 2009
BH Photo #139910
Although the history of this bridge has not been thoroughly documented, physical evidence suggests that King’s Bridge was originally built in the mid-nineteenth century and largely rebuilt in 1906. Bypassed in the 1930s, King’s Bridge was privately owned and maintained by the King family of Middlecreek Township, who used it as a livestock barn until 2002. The bridge is currently undergoing rehabilitation and will be preserved as an historic landmark and tourist attraction. King’s Bridge is a good example of a multiple kingpost truss and has been retrofitted with unusual auxiliary tied arches. It is one of ten surviving covered bridges in Somerset County, whose dates range from 1845 to 1902.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
See also http://www.woodcenter.org/docs/dayton-conference/Collins_Pet...
- Burr arch-truss bridge over Laurel Hill Creek on Bypassed section of PA653
- Somerset County, Pennsylvania
- Open to pedestrians
- Rebuilt 1906 at site of earlier bridge; extensively rebuilt ca. 2010
- Burr arch-truss
Span length: 127.0 ft.
Total length: 127.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 11, 1989
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.93800, -79.27122 (decimal degrees)
39°56'17" N, 79°16'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/647705/4422306 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 38-56-06 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 80003632 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 42541 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 26, 2014: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: added link to restoration report
- July 9, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
- March 7, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info, street view, exact date built and imported photos
- October 23, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: Listed Owner: Township
- May 9, 2009: New photos from Brian McKee
- May 8, 2009: Added by Brian McKee