Bainbridge Street Bridge (Old)
Bainbridge Street Bridge
Short clip of entering bridge eastbound and then crossing westbound
YouTube user BorisDigital
Play video on YouTube
Replaced earlier 1907 bridge. Bridge sported extension girders on north side to support tracks of Sunbury & Selinsgrove Electric Ry. 1928-1934; girders remained until demolition. Toll bridge 1928-1957. 1928 cost $414,000. Concrete piers added between stone piers of original 1907 span. Traffic estimated at 11,000 daily 1957, and 15-18,000 during Northumberland bridge reconstruction & detour in 1976. Tolls abolished 1957. Closed with opening of new bridge to south Nov. 24, 1986.
Image at http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/s&s114.jpg
- Lost Pony/through plate girder bridge over Susquehanna River on Bainbridge Street (and Sunbury & Selinsgrove Electric Ry. 1928-1934)
- Shamokin Dam, Snyder County, Pennsylvania, and Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1928, demolished 1986-87
- - George W. Rockwell
- Sunbury Bridge Co.
- - Interurban
- Sunbury & Selinsgrove Electric Railway (S&SER)
- Pony plate girder
Length of largest span: 84.5 ft.
Total length: 2,366.0 ft. (0.4 mi.)
- Also called
- Sunbury Toll Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.85480, -76.80613 (decimal degrees)
40°51'17" N, 76°48'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/347765/4524208 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 51039 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 11, 2015: New video from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- March 9, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Sunbury & Selinsgrove Electric Railway", "Interurban", "Susquehanna River"
- January 7, 2013: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: corrected date
- January 23, 2012: Added by Alexander D. Mitchell IV