33rd Street Bridge
Photo taken by smallbones (Wikipedia User)
BH Photo #190853
This single-span skew arch culvert features brick ribs, semi-counsel squared stone masonry spandrel walls, and ashlar voussoirs. It was built to provide access to important water mains and is skewed due to a bend in Philadelphia's 33rd Street, which runs above it. The culvert is an integral part of a large retaining wall and abutment complex that comprises two bridges along 33rd Street. The bridges were erected to offer convenient access between North and West Philadelphia, and to provide a decorative gateway to the eastern edge of Fairmount Park.
- Stone arch bridge over (previously) Master Street on 33rd Street, Rt. 13
- Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1901
- Single span stone skew arch
Span length: 41.0 ft.
Total length: 41.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1988
- Also called
- Master Street Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.97847, -75.18955 (decimal degrees)
39°58'42" N, 75°11'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/483814/4425384 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 67 0013 0100 1237 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 47389 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2008)
- Overall condition: Fair
Sufficiency rating: 59 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 8, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added category "Helicoidal Arch"
- March 7, 2014: New Street View added by Dave King
- April 27, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "HAER documented"
- April 27, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- October 24, 2011: Photos imported by James Baughn
- December 26, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- HAER PA-463 - Brick Arch Culvert over Master Street, Spanning dirt slope of Master Street at Thirty-third Street (U.S. Route 13), Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com