Path Valley Railroad - Conococheague Tunnel
Path Valley 1
Photo taken by Chester Gehman Aug 9, 1982
BH Photo #439565
More information and modern-day photos at http://www.steamphotos.com/Railroad-Photos/Abandoned-Railroa...
This tunnel was to be part of an extension of the 3-foot gauge Newport & Sherman's Valley RR to Fannettsburg with Hancock MD the eventual goal. It was chartered as the Path Valley RR. Problems were encountered with loose rock and the effort was abandoned after very little progress had been made.
An excellent history of the railroad can be found in "Bells & Whistles In Old Perry" by Steinmetz and Kramer, Compton Press, 1974.
- Tunnel under Conococheague Mountain
- Perry County, Pennsylvania
- Never built
- Future prospects
- Approximately 100' drilled on north end, which survives today as a small "cave." Attempt made on south end with no success in crumbling rock.
- Construction started January 1894, never completed
- - Path Valley Railroad
Total length: 0.3 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.26168, -77.65865 (decimal degrees)
40°15'42" N, 77°39'31" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/273913/4460193 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Blairs Mills
- Inventory number
- BH 75180 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 19, 2018: New photos from Chester Gehman
- January 13, 2017: Added by Alexander D. Mitchell IV