NS - Packers Island Bridge
For this photo I was standing on Packers Island facing east (toward Sunbury Pa.).
This is the eastern set of spans.
Photo taken by Mike Niethe
BH Photo #359880
These bridges carry the Norfolk Southern Railroad from Northumberland Pennsylvania across the Susquehanna River to Packers Island (six spans) then from Packers Island to Sunbury Pennsylvania (another six spans). These bridges are a short distance north of the confluence of the Susquehanna River and the West Branch of the Susquehanna River at Northumberland.
The bridges can be seen best from Shikellamy State Park.
There are two sets of tracks.
The piers on which the bridges rest appear to have held another bridge in the past.
- Through truss bridge over Susquehanna River on Norfolk Southern Railroad
- Northumberland, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- - Conrail (CR)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Six-span Camelback through truss (east) and six-span Camelback through truss (west)
- Also called
- NS-Susquehanna River Bridges at Northumberland Pennsylvania
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.88476, -76.79289 (decimal degrees)
40°53'05" N, 76°47'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/348949/4527511 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 73054 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 10, 2021: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- January 1, 2021: New photo from Josh Schmid
- August 3, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- August 3, 2016: New photos from Mike Niethe
- August 2, 2016: Added by Mike Niethe
- Mike Niethe - michaelniethe [at] gmail [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein
- Josh Schmid
- Patrick Gurwell - pgurwell [at] gmail [dot] com