Mahanoy Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman on 05/11/12
BH Photo #232698
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The one span, 130' long, pin connected Pratt thru truss bridge is supported on a concrete abutment on the west side and an ashlar abutment on the east side. The bridge plaque documented in the district survey has been lost, but the bridge is recorded as having been built by the Long Bridge Co., which is not listed in Darnell's directory of pre-1901 fabricators. The bridge is traditionally composed. The verticals are toe-in channels with lacing, and the floorbeams are suspended from the lower panel point, but welded straps have been added to augment the connection. The knee braces of the lattice portal brace have punchwork decoration. The bridge is a late example of its type and design, and it has some alterations. It is located in a region noted for its many and complete early pin connected bridges. In comparison with the regional population, this bridge is not historically or technologically significant.
- Through truss bridge over Mahanoy Creek on TR 377
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Closed to all traffic
- Built 1902 by the King Bridge Company
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 128.9 ft.
Total length: 129.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.72462, -76.81546 (decimal degrees)
40°43'29" N, 76°48'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/346679/4509773 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 49 7204 0377 0139 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 31469 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 13, 2020: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- November 20, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- June 18, 2013: Updated by Tony Dillon: Changed builder as this is a portal style common to the King Bridge Company
- May 27, 2012: New photos from Jodi Christman
- April 15, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- April 9, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected GPS