Mahanoy Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman on 5/11/2012
BH Photo #232755
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The one-span, 158'-long, rivet-connected Parker thru truss bridge built in 1941 has built-up chords, rolled section diagonals and verticals, metal railings, concrete deck, rolled floorbeams and stringers, and concrete abutments with flared wingwalls. The bridge is a late example of the Parker truss type, a variation of the Pratt truss with polygonal top chord, developed in the 1870s and patented by engineer Charles H. Parker. The truss type was adopted by the state highway department in the late 1920s as a standard design for long-span crossings. It was used extensively through the 1930s, with over 80 post-1925 examples identified. This 1941 example has no noteworthy features. Earlier examples of rivet-connected Parker trusses better illustrate the historical and technological significance of the bridge type. The bridge is not historically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Through truss bridge over Mahanoy Creek on PA 3006
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1940; rehabilitated 2001
- Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 152.9 ft.
Total length: 158.1 ft.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.73167, -76.79500 (decimal degrees)
40°43'54" N, 76°47'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/348423/4510519 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 49 3006 0070 1216 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 29234 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31468 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 77.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 10, 2021: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- May 27, 2012: New photos from Jodi Christman
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Patrick Gurwell - pgurwell [at] gmail [dot] com