Shamokin Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Janis Ford June 2009
BH Photo #216611
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The one-span, 158'-long, rivet-connected Parker thru truss bridge built in 1933 has built-up chords, rolled section diagonals and verticals, cantilevered sidewalks with lattice railings, and concrete abutments with flared wingwalls. The concrete deck was replaced in 1981. The bridge is a late example of the Parker truss type, a variation of the Pratt truss with polygonal top chord, developed in the 1870s and patented by engineer Charles H. Parker. The truss type was adopted by the state highway department in the late 1920s as a standard design for long-span crossings. It was used extensively through the 1930s, with over 80 post-1925 examples identified. This 1933 example has no distinguishing features. Rolled section was used for truss members starting in the late 1920s. Earlier examples of rivet-connected Parker trusses better illustrate the historical and technological significance of the bridge type. The bridge is not historically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Through truss bridge over Shamokin Creek on PA 61 in Sunbury
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1933; rehabilitated 1981
- Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 153.9 ft.
Total length: 158.1 ft.
Deck width: 32.2 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.1 ft.
- Also called
- Market Street Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.85918, -76.77584 (decimal degrees)
40°51'33" N, 76°46'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/350328/4524642 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 49 0061 0520 0882 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 29007 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31473 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 51.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 11, 2016: Photo imported by Roger Deschner