Northampton Street Bridge (1806)
Palmer's last major structure was a bridge over the Delaware River connecting Easton, Pennsylvania with Philipsburg, New Jersey. The bridge company started this bridge in the late 1790s, but had financial and technical difficulties. Palmer was called to the project about the same time he was awarded the Permanent Bridge contract. He gave them a design for three spans fitting the requirements of the abutments and piers then in the process of being completed. Span lengths ranged from 155-feet to nearly 160-feet. The design was similar to his Schuylkill Bridge, and he moved his crew directly from Philadelphia to Easton to build it. For the first time his middle truss did not run to the roof of the bridge. Instead he had the deck sit on top of the central truss, while his side trusses ran to the roof. This bridge lasted until 1895, surviving many floods common to the Delaware River.
- Lost covered bridge over Delaware River on Northampton Street
- Phillpsburg, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, and Warren County, New Jersey
- Destroyed by flooding
- Started in the late 1790s, opened in 1806, lost in 1895
- - Timothy Palmer
- Multiple Kingpost through truss
Length of largest span: 160.0 ft.
- Also called
- Easton Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.69149, -75.20393 (decimal degrees)
40°41'29" N, 75°12'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/482769/4504529 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 89601 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 30, 2021: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added truss type and fixed typos.
- August 4, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- June 14, 2020: New photos from Art Suckewer
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com