Oak Street Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The single span, 20'-long stone arch bridge built in 1855 according to state records is laid up with matched ring stones and rubble coursed field stone spandrel walls and parapets. The spandrel walls and parapets appear to have been rebuilt. On the upstream side, a large section of parapet is missing and has been replaced by chain link fencing. The bridge is one of six stone arch spans in Norristown and one of over 50 built between 1789 and 1919 in the county. It is an undistinguished example of its technology, and neither the bridge nor its setting are historically or technologically significant.
- Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Saw Mill Run on East Oak Street
- Norristown, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1855 ca, rehabilitated 1931
- Closed-spandrel arch
Total length: 20.0 ft.
Deck width: 50.7 ft.
- Also called
- Saw Mill Run Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.11629, -75.33465 (decimal degrees)
40°06'59" N, 75°20'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/471483/4440717 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 52356 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 4, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman