NS - Mayes Bridge
View from north bank looking southwest, showing piers of original truss bridge(s) downstream
Photo taken by Alexander D. Mitchell IV in May 2013
BH Photo #254797
NKP 765 across Mayes Bridge
NKP 765 heads West after leaving Lewistown, PA at the Mayes Bridge.
Video posted by Ben Sutton
Play video on YouTube
Stone arch bridge, built 1905-06 by Pennsylvania RR; concrete reinforcements added by Conrail in 1980s/1990s
Original wooden 5-span Linville Truss ca. 1860, replaced by cast iron Whipple deck truss ca. 1870; washed out 1889, replaced by another bridge.
- Stone arch bridge over Juniata River on Norfolk Southern Railroad
- Mifflin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- - Eyre Construction Co. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- William H. Brown (Chief Engineer)
- - Conrail (CR)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Stone arch
Total length: 630.0 ft.
- Also called
- PC - Mayes Bridge
Conrail - Mayes Bridge
PRR - Mayes Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.55974, -77.60224 (decimal degrees)
40°33'35" N, 77°36'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/279686/4493140 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 56360 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 2, 2017: New Street View added by Luke
- November 13, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builder to the prexisting category.
- November 13, 2013: New photos from Jim Allen
- May 28, 2013: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added additional info
- May 27, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Juniata River", "Railroad", "Conrail", "Norfolk Southern Railway"
- May 27, 2013: Added by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Jim Allen