Brenneman Road Bridge
Photo taken May 2006 by Jack Schmidt
BH Photo #108611
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 1-span, 73'-long, rivet-connected Pratt pony truss bridge built in 1938 is supported on field stone abutments from a previous bridge. The reuse of substructure is very common. The truss is composed of built-up sections for the chords, and rolled sections for the diagonals and verticals. Rolled floorbeams and stringers carry an open steel grid deck. Channel railings are set to the inside faces of the trusses. The Pratt truss type/design emerged in the last quarter of the 19th century as one of the most popular designs because of ease of erection and economy of design. By the late 1890s improvements in field pneumatic riveting equipment resulted in the shift from pinned to riveted connections. Pratt trusses continued to be built in numbers through the mid 20th century. Over 375 examples of Pratt russ highway bridges from the 1870s to 1956 are in the state. This late example has no unusual or noteworthy details. It is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Pony truss bridge over Calamus Run on Breneman Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Demolished and replaced.
- Built 1938
- - H.W. Crawford
- Pratt pony truss
Length of largest span: 73.2 ft.
Total length: 76.1 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.95577, -76.23311 (decimal degrees)
39°57'21" N, 76°13'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/394672/4423575 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7233 0498 0401 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 46270 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31079 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2016)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Excellent (9 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 91.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 28, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- September 8, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- May 10, 2009: New photos from Brian McKee
- April 29, 2009: Updated by Brian McKee: Changed GPS Coordinates
- November 2, 2006: Posted photos from Jack Schmidt
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Brian McKee - bjmckee51 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com