Herr's Mill Covered Bridge 38-36-21
38 36 21 herrs mill side1
Photo taken by Jack Schmidt June 2, 2006
BH Photo #273372
Incorporated into commercial Mill Bridge Village ca. 1970, later part of Mill Bridge Village Camp Resort, the bridge had end doors for years. At one point used as a museum structure, later used to house horse buggies garage-style.
Bridge had been seriously neglected in recent years, with flood damage in 2007 and a sagging span and threat of collapse, and a recent arson blaze (quickly extinguished) in 2014. Lancaster County Historic Preservation Trust placed bridge on its list of "Most Endangered" for 2015.
Sold and dismantled 2018-19, relocated to The Star Barn private resort near Elizabethtown, Lancaster County to serve as two separate bridges, roadway and railroad.
- Burr arch-truss covered bridge over Pequea Creek off S. Ronks Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Removed but not replaced
- Future prospects
- Bridge sold September 2018, dismantled, and moved to Stone Gables Estates at Elizabethtown, where it was/will be refurbished into two separate wooden bridges.
- Built 1844; bypassed 1971 and deeded to private ownership; sold 2018 and moved to function as two bridges at The Star Barn near Elizabethtown.
- - Joseph Elliott
- Robert Russell
- Two-span Burr arch
Total length: 178.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 10, 1989
- Also called
- Soudersburg Bridge
Mill Bridge Village Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.00957, -76.16205 (decimal degrees)
40°00'34" N, 76°09'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/400820/4429465 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 80003537 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 36-36-21 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 48920 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 12, 2021: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge sold, dismantled, and relocated for reconstruction 2018-19.
- September 12, 2017: Merged duplicate pages
- July 30, 2016: New photos from John Loxton
- September 2, 2015: New photos from John Loxton
- January 13, 2015: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: corrected bypass date, added nomination to Endangered List and link to article
- September 15, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- September 10, 2014: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
- March 7, 2014: Added by Jack Schmidt
- March 4, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
- May 18, 2012: New Street View added by Jodi Christman
- June 14, 2011: Added by Alexander D. Mitchell IV