Amtrak - New Haven Street Overpass
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY: The bridge carries a 2 lane street and 2 sidewalks over 2 tracks of a depressed section of Amtrak's electrified line from Philadelphia to Harrisburg. The railroad is the former Pennsylvania RR Main Line, one of the most historically significant rail routes in the state. The bridge is located in downtown Mount Joy in a late-19th and early-20th century commerical setting that has been identified as having historic district potential by PHMC.
According to PADOT Dist. 8-0 environmental review records, the bridge was determined eligible as a contributing resource to a potential historic district in Mount Joy. The three-span bridge is composed of a 54'-long steel thru girder main span flanked by timber stringer approach spans. The bridge is supported on stone abutments with concrete caps, and by riveted steel bent piers. Wood sidewalks are cantilevered off both sides of the girders. The original date of construction is not documented in state inspection records, but the bridge dates stylistically from ca. 1910, and was erected by the Pennsylvania RR. In 1981, the state highway department replaced the original timber deck and stringers of the main span with a concrete filled steel grid deck. The bridge is not an individually distinguished example of its type, but is historically significanct in association with the PRR Main Line and its setting in a potential historic district in downtown Mount Joy.
- Lost Girder bridge over Amtrak (PRR Main Line) on Sr 4002 (New Haven Street)
- Mount Joy, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1910CA; Replaced 2005
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Three-span bridge - steel thru girder main span flanked by timber stringer approach spans
Length of largest span: 54.1 ft.
Total length: 85.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.4 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.10977, -76.50720 (decimal degrees)
40°06'35" N, 76°30'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/371549/4441029 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Columbia West
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 4002 0160 1582 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 52543 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 26, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman