Amtrak - Holland Street Overpass
BH Photo #232559
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge is closed to traffic. It crosses over 2 electrified tracks of Amtrak in a setting with a mix of late 19th to late 20th century residences and businesses in Salunga. A Butler building and modern garage are to the north. Very altered late 19th century vernacular frame residences line the road to the south. The setting does not have the cohesiveness or integrity of a historic district in Salunga. The rail line is the former Pennsylvania RR Main Line, one of the state's most historically significant railroads, established in the late 1840s, and electrified in the late 1930s. The Main Line has been determined eligible by PHMC (DOE 9/14/93).
The 3-span, 92'-long metal thru girder bridge built ca. 1898 is supported on ashlar abutments and built-up metal bents with crossbracing. The bent columns rest on stone pedestals. The shallow built-up girders carry built-up floorbeams, timber stringers, and a wood deck with asphalt wearing surface. Metal picket railings are set atop the girders with corrugated sheet metal barriers added over the electrified tracks (ca. 1937). The bridge is a common type/design, developed by the railroads in the mid 19th century, and frequenty applied to overpass bridges from the late 19th to mid 20th century. Although not individually distinguished by its technology, it is historically significant in association with the Philadelphia-Harrisburg division of the PRR's Main Line, one of the most important and heavily engineered railroad right-of-ways in the state. The line was straightened and regraded in the late 1890s and the bridge dates by style and history to that effort. It contributes to the PRR Main Line that has been determined eligible by PHMC (DOE 9/14/93).
- Girder bridge over Amtrak Railroad on Holland Street
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Closed to all traffic
- Built 1895
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
Length of largest span: 44.9 ft.
Total length: 91.9 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.10322, -76.42972 (decimal degrees)
40°06'12" N, 76°25'47" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/378141/4440192 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Columbia East
- Inventory numbers
- PANBI 21917 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 52548 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of January 2012)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 32 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 14, 2019: New photos from Melissa Brand-Welch
- November 9, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Removed category "Railroad" - Mistake this was an Over-Pass bridge only
- May 26, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Melissa Brand-Welch - melissabrandwelch [at] msn [dot] com