Amtrak - Foreman Road Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The single span, 82'-long, rivet-connected Warren with verticals pony truss bridge built in 1898 by the Pennsylvania RR is supported on ashlar abutments with concrete buttresses added (ca. 1950). It has all built-up members of standard steel sections and plates. Details, such as tapered verticals and T-shaped upper chords of paired angles and plate, are similar to other PRR-designed Warren pony truss overpass bridges from the late 1890s to 1910 in southeastern Pennsylvania. The bridge is historically and technologically significant as among the 12 oldest pre-1901 examples of Warren truss highway bridges in the state. As well, it is historically significant in association with the Philadelphia-Harrisburg division of the PRR's Main Line, one of the most important and heavily engineered railroad right-of-ways in the state. The bridge is individually significant and contributing to the PRR Main Line.
The bridge is closed to traffic. It is over 2 of Amtrak's electrified railroad tracks in a cut in a rural setting with a modern Butler building to the south and scattered late 19th to late 20th century houses to the north. The rail line is the former Pennsylvania RR Main Line, one of the state's most historically significant railroads, established in the late 1840s, and electrified in the late 1930s. The Main Line has been determined eligible by PHMC (DOE 9/14/93).
- Lost pony truss bridge over Amtrak on Foreman Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- No longer exists
- Built 1898; rehabilitated 1986
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Rivet-connected Warren with verticals pony truss
Length of largest span: 80.1 ft.
Total length: 82.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.13173, -76.58607 (decimal degrees)
40°07'54" N, 76°35'10" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/364871/4443583 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7237 0843 5052 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 31093 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 28, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description