MERV - Hothers Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman on 2/19/11
BH Photo #193963
Southern Pennsylvania Iron and Railway Company built this bridge as part of the railroad with a mission to connect to ore lands where new furnaces were built. Richmond Furnace, being one of the furnaces, unfortunately turned into an expensive disappointment. Later in the 1950s there was a surge on this railway as additional tunnels for the Pennsylvania Turnpike were built. SOURCE-"Railroads of Western Franklin County" by Randy Watts
Line acquired by Cumberland Valley RR, then became part of Pennsylvania RR, became part of Penn Central 1968, was not folded into Conrail upon 1976 merger. Short-line operator Mercersburg Railway operated over the line 1978-80, track torn up 1981. Bridge and portion of right-of-way right-of-way sold to private property owner 1985; property remains in private hands today.
- November 22, 2019: Updated by Luke: Corrected builder to prexisting category
- November 22, 2019: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Corrected history; identified private owner; updated name.
- December 31, 2018: New photos from Jodi Christman
- August 20, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Revised history and builder
- February 19, 2011: Added by Jodi Christman