Rating:
2 votes

Martin's Mill Covered Bridge 38-28-01

Photos 

Photo taken by Jodi Christman

Enlarge

BH Photo #183095

Map 

Description 

from http://www.greencastlepachamber.org/history.html Built in 1849, Martinís Mill Covered Bridge is one of only two covered bridges remaining in Franklin County. It is located on Weaver Road in Antrim Township, about 3.5 miles southwest of Greencastle and 1.8 miles off Williamsport Pike. The 205-foot span, built in the town lattice truss style to accommodate weight, is the second longest covered bridge in Pennsylvania. The bridge crosses the east branch of the Conococheague Creek, and is named for the saw and grist mill which once stood upstream on its west bank. The historic bridge, now restored to near original condition, has survived three near destructions: the first in 1958, when it was condemned by the county to be abandoned and destroyed; the second in 1972, when it was washed from its center pier and abutments by the floods from Hurricane Agnes; and the last, in the fall of 1991, when it had fallen into disrepair and nearly collapsed.

In each instance, the Martinís Mill Covered Bridge Association, a group founded in 1961 to preserve the bridge for future generations, has stepped in to prevent its loss. The latest restoration, completed in 1995, took three years. The bridge structure was stabilized, rotted flooring and siding replaced and a new wood shingle roof added. To protect the bridge after this latest and most expensive repair, gates were added at both portals to limit vehicular traffic. Visitors are invited to park at either abutment and bike or walk across. The site of Martinís Mill Covered Bridge includes a public park and recreation area upstream from the bridge on the east bank of the creek.

Facts 

Overview
Through truss bridge on West Weaver Road
Location
Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built 1849
Builder
- Jacob Shirk
Design
Town Truss construction
Dimensions
Total length: 205.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.0 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 15, 1974
Also called
Shindle Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.76471, -77.77550   (decimal degrees)
39°45'53" N, 77°46'32" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/262255/4405327 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Williamson
Inventory numbers
NRHP 74001786 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 46333 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 4, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
  • October 24, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman
  • October 23, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman
  • September 26, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman

Sources 

  • Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
  • Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • Andrew Raker

Comments 

Martin's Mill Covered Bridge 38-28-01
Posted October 11, 2015, by ArtS (asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com)