Burnt Mill Road Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman
BH Photo #176365
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The one span, 109'-long, pin-connected, Pratt thru truss bridge was fabricated in 1885 by the Pittsburgh Bridge Company. The bridge is one of six identified truss bridges (ca. 1870-1924) in Franklin County, and the only Pratt thru truss. The bridge, composed of standard built-up sections, has no significant alterations. It is supported on stone abutments with flared wingwalls. The Pittsburgh Bridge Company, established in 1878, was a successful fabricator and marketer of bridges in the state in the last two decades of the 19th century. The company had an important Franklin County connection in Thomas M. Nelson of Chambersburg, who operated as an agent contractor for the erection of the company's bridges beginning in 1883, and served as the company president from 1896 to 1900. The bridge is historically and technologically significant in the context of late-19th-century metal truss bridges in Franklin County.
- Through truss bridge over Conodoguinet Creek on Burnt Mill Road
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1885
- - Pittsburgh Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 105.0 ft.
Total length: 108.9 ft.
Deck width: 14.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.10500, -77.56167 (decimal degrees)
40°06'18" N, 77°33'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/281659/4442556 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 7207 0642 3066 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17679 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30941 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 16.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 13, 2020: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- November 9, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- May 20, 2012: New photos from Jodi Christman
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- June 5, 2011: New photos from Jodi Christman
- April 10, 2011: New photo from Jodi Christman
- January 23, 2011: New photo from Jodi Christman
- November 28, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman
- September 9, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman
- September 6, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman