Etter Road Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman
BH Photo #176935
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 1 span, 82'-long, pin-connected Pratt pony truss bridge was fabricated in 1904 by Nelson & Buchanan of Chambersburg. The bridge is historically and technologically significant for its association with a local builder and is one of only six metal truss bridges identified in Franklin County. It is a late example of the pin-connected Pratt pony truss design with an uncommon detail for a bridge of its age, cast-metal end pieces. The truss bridge is composed of standard built-up sections and eye bars and is supported on stone abutments. The open steel grid deck was placed in 1967. Nelson & Buchanan were established in 1883, initially serving as agents for the Pittsburgh Bridge Co., and after 1901 operating independently. The firm was a prolific builder of highway bridges, contracting with county and municipal governments, but only three extant metal truss bridges with the Nelson & Buchanan association have been identified in their home county of Franklin.
- Pony truss bridge over Conococheague Creek on Etter Road
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1904 by Nelson & Buchanan; rehabilitated 1967; demolished and replaced 2005
- - Nelson & Buchanan Co. of Chambersburg & Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Pratt pony truss
Span length: 82.0 ft.
Total length: 82.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.88308, -77.69923 (decimal degrees)
39°52'59" N, 77°41'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/269186/4418268 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 7205 0456 3024 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17668 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30944 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 80 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 21, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builder.
- December 28, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- May 25, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Tweaked GPS
- September 11, 2010: New photos from Jodi Christman